Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Mommy's Junior Pre-school


I have started "home schooling" my twins. Now, they are not even three years old, so I don't really consider it "school" but I wanted to have some regular time set aside to help them start to recognize letters, shapes, numbers, etc.

I've been doing a modified "Letter of the Week" curriculum. I choose one letter and focus on that for the week, working in other ways to also focus on colors (which they know really well) and shapes (not as well) and numbers (ditto).
This is only our second week, so I don't have a whole lot to report, but the girls are really enjoying it. Last week we did the letter "A". We colored a picture of an alligator, matched ants with a big "A" and little "a", made a 3D apple, and did a gospel lesson about Adam and Eve.
And now is a great time to stock up on supplies for our home school. Yesterday I went to Target and found some foam 1" blocks for counting and building shapes: a bag of 50 blocks was $1. They also had little dry erase boards for $1 each. I thought those would be great for helping them down the road a bit practice their writing. I've also picked up washable markers ($2 each at Target), glue sticks (25 cents for 2), white glue (20 cents each), and scissors (50 cents for 2 pairs).
There are also tons of places online to find worksheets and cute ideas. Some I've found so far:

It is bringing a little more order to our household and the girls love learning and playing.

No comments: