Thursday, July 1, 2010

Where to take the kids around the Bay: Oak Meadow Park



I thought it would be fun to highlight some of the cool places around the Bay to take the little ones. Kids are out of school and there's suddenly nothing to do! Since I'm in the South Bay, I have more experience down here, but I'd love to hear about other places nearby, too.
Last week I took my kids to Oak Meadow Park in Los Gatos. There are two playground areas (one for bigger kids and one for toddlers) that include an actual airplane and firetruck. It's pretty cool. What I love about this park is that they have a carousel and a train ride. Kids 2 and under ride free on both. Ages 3 and up are only $2 each per ride. During the summer (June 15 though Labor Day), the train and carousel run daily 10:30am to 4:30pm.

My girls loved the train ride and every time they ride the carousel they say it's just like Mary Poppins! : ) After our carousel ride, we stopped by the little snack shack and each girl got a "snowball" (a snowcone) for only $1 each. They have hot dogs, popcorn, and drinks and I think everything is $1.
Saturday, July 10th is the carousel's 100th anniversary. They'll have lots of fun activities for all ages from 11am to 2pm.
There's a big open field for those little ones who like to run and Oak Meadow Park is connected to Vasona Park by walking/biking trails. There are geese and ducks by the lake and there are several beautiful picnic areas.
Sometimes there is a parking fee at Oak Meadow Park and almost always at Vasona.
I feel like I'm stepping back into a simpler time whenver I visit this park. It is so beautiful, really well-taken care of, and all the guests really enjoy themselves. The staff is great at the carousel and the train. Its proximity to the cute shops and yummy restaurants of downtown Los Gatos doesn't hurt either. : )

No comments: