Monday, December 15, 2008

Counting my blessings

This weekend was rough. My baby girls both got pink eye...and so, of course, I did, too. Husband has been sick for about a week or so now. He is either getting worse or has caught a second cold/flu. I have a swollen and sore throat. And babies that don't want to sleep.

Yesterday it all came to a head when I headed out to pick up my mother-in-law (who was visiting)from church. Just as I was about to get on the freeway, my tire went flat. I was able to make it to safety and called Husband and a tow truck driver. My grandmother picked up my mother-in-law and all was taken care of. Husband reported that the tow truck driver said if I had been on the freeway when the tire had blown out, I would have been dead. See, the alignment on our van is so bad that it wore a hole right through the tire...and it was working on the other front tire, too. As our van sits in the shop getting an estimate for repair work (which I'm sure is going to be astronomical) I am filled with gratitude that that is the problem before me and not that Husband lost his wife two weeks before Christmas. Jeez. Sorry to be so heavy, but I realize (again) that I have so much to be grateful for.

My grandfather had a saying that "If it's a problem that can be solved with money, it's not a problem." That may sound cavalier to some of you who feel overwhelmed by debt. But if you think about it, it is very true. We can work to make more money or cut back to save what we have. But you can't buy happiness, love, or family. So as Christmas draws ever nearer (and I'm still not done with Christmas shopping), I'm taking a moment to reflect on the true meaning of this Christmas season as well as taking the time to count my blessings.

No comments: